Stan Rodda

April 18, 2005

Caterpillars and the Afterlife!

Friends, if you don't have a comment for this one, there is something wrong with you! You should have seen Grant tonight. He is so thoughtful and considerate. Well, before I tell you all of that I should start from the beginning.

We were outside barbecuing and Grant and I were observing a caterpillar. I was telling all about how it would one day turn into a butterfly and all that. It was so sweet and Grant wanted to touch him but was just a little bit too afraid to. As we watched the caterpillar for about 5 minutes suddenly he decided that things weren't happening enough for him and so he shouts, "I'm going to squish him." And with that he lifted up his foot and stomped the guts out of this poor defenseless creature. Real thoughtful and considerate huh?

Well, just a few minutes after this, he decided that he wanted to play with the caterpillar again and I told him he couldn't. I said, "You sent that caterpillar to meet his Maker. He is gone for good." Well that seemed to work for a while until he brought it up again later. Misty had come outside at this point and Grant was talking to her about it now and talking with her about Grandpa Stan in heaven. I told him again, "Buddy, the caterpillar's in heaven. He's in heaven with Grandpa Stan talking about how mean his grandson is by squishing him for no reason." With that I went back to barbecuing.

A few seconds later my wife is in tears and I have no idea why. She says, "You should have heard him." So what is it that he said. Well, Grant's favorite possessions are his trains. And he looked at his mother as serious as could be and said, "Can I send my train to heaven too so Grandpa Stan can play with it?"

Now you all see why Misty was crying and I, obviously, was speechless. My kid is the coolest kid, the kindest kid, the most thoughtful kid ever. Just thought I would share with you all the joys of barbecuing and discussing caterpillars and the afterlife with your almost 3 year old. Good night all.

Stan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home